Awards are in three categories:
- an†Open category, which anyone in the world may enter;
- an†NHS category, which is open to UK National Health Service employees, health students and those working in professional organisations involved in education and training of NHS students and staff;
- a†Young Poets category in the international Hippocrates Prize for Young Poets †for an unpublished poem in English on a medical theme.†Entries are open to young poets from anywhere in the world aged 14 to 18 years.
Open, NHS and Young Poets 2014 Hippocrates awards will be presented by the judges on 10th May, 2013 in London at the end of the†5th International Symposium on Poetry and Medicine.†
The Hippocrates Initiative began in 2009 as the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine for an unpublished poem on a medical subject.†The Hippocrates Initiative now also includes the international Hippocrates Society for Poetry and Medicine,†annual international symposia†at which the Hippocrates awards are also presented, an international research forum for poetry and medicine, The Hippocrates Press, and†workshops, the first held in Venice†in September 2013.
Since its launch in 2009, the annual Hippocrates Prize has attracted thousands of entries from 55 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and from Finland to Australasia.
With a 1st prize for the winning poem in each category of £5,000, the Hippocrates prize is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem.
These annual awards are in three categories:
- an Open category, which anyone in the world may enter
- an NHS category which is open to UK National Health Service employees, health students and those working in professional organisations involved in education and training of NHS students and staff.
Major support for the Hippocrates initiative has come from the†Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, with additional support from the†Wellcome Trust, the†Cardiovascular Research Trust,†the National Association for Writers in Education, Heads, Teachers and Industry†and the University of Warwick's†Institute of Advanced Study.††