1. The Hippocrates Prie for young poets is for an unpublished poem on a medical theme. Poems must be no more than 50 lines in length and not have previously been published in any form. They must be by a living poet, written in English and should not be translations of another writer’s work.
2. Entrants may be from anywhere in the world and must be aged 14 to 18 years at the deadline for entries: 1st March, 2013.
3. Schools poems must be entered†online†and must be accompanied by payment of £2 for each poem entered, or†£15 for 10 entries, by secure online payment.
4. On the online submission site, the writer’s name should not appear in the text box for your poem(s).
5. All entries must be received by 12 midnight GMT on 1st March 2013. Results will be announced at a†prize-giving event†during an†International Symposium on Poetry and Medicine†at Wellcome Collection on Euston Rad in London, on Saturday 18th May 2013, and will be published on the Hippocrates Prize website, in an Anthology of winning poems, and in the Postgraduate Medical Journal, which is published by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, †a major supporter of the Hippocrates Awards.†
6. Copyright remains with the authors, but the Hippocrates Prize organizers reserve the right of first publication, both online and in a prizewinners’ anthology.
7. The judge for the Hippocrates Prize for young poets will read a long-list prepared by filter judges, and their decision will be final.