Press Releases


Creativity and compassion: winners of the 2018 FPM Hippocrates Open and Health Professional Prize for Poetry and Medicine

Joanne Key from England has been announced by judge Mark Doty as the winner of the 2018 FPM Hippocrates Open Prize for Poetry and Medicine at an awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago. Her winning poem was Colony which concerned the distress of her father during his final illness. 

Mark Doty also announced Inez Garzaniti from Pontiac in the USA as the winner of the 2018 FPM Hippocrates Open Prize for Poetry and Medicine for Cranial Nerve Shadowbox which was inspired by the functions and dysfunctions of cranial nerves.

Taylor Fang from Logan, Utah, USA was announced by judge Alisha Kaplan as the winner of the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine at the awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago. Her winning poem was Letter to Body Made Hollow and she was also shortlisted for On the Evolution of Cancer.

With an awards fund of £5500 the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single unpublished poem. The 2018 Hippocrates Prize is supported by medical charity the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine and the healthy heart charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust.

Entries for the 2018 Hippocrates prize were received from 37 countries and from 5 continents.

IMG 6852

Donald Singer, judge Mark Doty, FPM Health Professional winner Inez Garzaniti, judge Alisha Kaplan, Michael Hulse and Rafael Campo at the awards event in Chicago

The judges - Carol Rumens from Bangor in North Wales, Peter Goldsworthy from Adelaide in Australia and Mark Doty from New York City agreed 4 shortlisted poets for the Health Professional Prize and a further 4 shortlisted poets for the Open Prize.  

Joanne Key

FPM Hippocrates Open Prize winner Joanne Key

Also competing for the FPM Hippocrates Open Prize were Sarah Ann Leavesley from Droitwich in England who was awarded 2nd Prize for At breaking point, and jointly sharing the 3rd Prize Aniqah Choudhri from Didsbury in England for Repeat Prescriptions and Raphael Dagold from Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan for Pharmacology.

r Taylor Fang

Hippocrates Young Poet Prize winner Taylor Fang

Also the running for the FPM Hippocrates Health Professional Prize were surgeon Stephen Harvey from Nashville in the USA who was awarded 2nd Prize for The Thirteenth Floor, and sharing the 3rd Prize Maria Ji from Onehunga in New Zealand for Thirteen Ways Of Looking At A Patient and Emma Storr from Leeds in England for Six Week Check.

Commendations were also agreed for entrants from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, England, Northern Ireland, Norway, Sweden and the USA - 19 in the Open category and 20 in the Health Professional Category.

IMG 6853

Commended poets with judges and organisers in Chicago 

Judge Carol Rumens said: “A good poem is like a blood transfusion. It replenishes the body of words, the language in which the poem is written. These prize-winning and commended poems sometimes highlight the metaphorical possibilities of a scientific vocabulary: one of the valuable aspects of the Hippocrates Prize is that it encourages such creative cross-fertilisation. But they also demonstrate that the borders stereotypically perceived between art and science cease to matter in the heat of imaginative and lived engagement.“

She added: “The health professionals write with empathy and a sense of mystery, the ‘open category’ writers summon descriptive precision.  Their forms are rarely traditional, but grow organically from the subject or the experience. So these poems celebrate language itself, while relocating bodily events to a less time-haunted region, and transforming some of the loneliest  aspects of human experience to the most vividly connective.“

Judge Mark Doty said: “Caring for the marvelous and fragile thing a human body is, those who work in the healing professions live in intimate relation with what it is to be alive. Every day they face our vulnerability, as well as their own.  That’s why so many have second lives as poets; writing can be a way to keep their own hearts open, giving form to feeling they must often hold at bay while they attend to what patients need.”

He added: ”The humane and moving work shortlisted for the Hippocrates Poetry Prizes testify to the power of poetry to help us to negotiate the difficult. In carefully crafted, artful language, they demonstrate how the wellspring of compassion renews itself In us again and again.” 

Judge Peter Goldsworthy said: ”Sometimes pus, sometimes a poem…but always pain,’ the Israeli poet Yehuda Amichai wrote, a near-perfect poetic distillation of the costs of creativity, at least ‘sometimes’    Of course not all great art has its genesis in pain, and not all pain – not even a fraction – leads to the partial consolations of art.  But if lancing an abscess is the surest way to healing,  poetry can  offer that same cleansing of emotional wounds - at least, again, ‘sometimes’.   As can humour;  and jokes are a species of poem, sharing its same search for precision, density, rhythm, timing - perfection.” 

He added: ”There are many species of  poem  here - dark, poignant, epigrammatic  celebratory, funny - which caused me many headaches when judging their merits.  How to separate apples from oranges - and grapes, and melons, and durians?   In the end I can only applaud the  endless capacity of  the poets  - and the language -  for creativity, for compassion, for generosity, for courage under fire - and all their various subspecies of humour.”

See more on the shortlisted and commended poets on the Hippocrates Poetry website.

The winners were announced at the 2018 Hippocrates Awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago from 4pm on Friday 11th May when the Hippocrates Awards Anthology was launched. There is also a reading at the Poetry Foundation by Mark Doty from 7pm on Thursday 10th May, an accompanying conference on poetry and medicine that morning and afternoon at Northwestern University in Chicago, and a workshop on poetry, medicine and art at Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art on Friday evening, 11th May.

The winning, shortlisted and commended poems in the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize have been published in the 2018 Hippocrates Prize Anthology which was launched at the 2018 Hippocrates Awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago on Friday 11th May.

Since it was launched in 2010, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 8000 entries from over 60 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and from Finland to Australasia.

___________________________________________________________________________

Notes for editors
For photos of finalists, biographies and extracts of their poems, call 07494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com

The Hippocrates Initiative – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and  Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the relationship between medicine and poetry.

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize 

More on support for the 2018 Hippocrates Awards for Poetry and Medicine

The 2018 Hippocrates Open Awards and Health Professional Awards are supported by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. The FPM is a UK medical society founded in 1918, which publishes the international journals the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology. 

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is supported by the Cardiovascular Research Trust, a healthy heart charity founded in 1996, which promotes research and education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation. The charity has a particular interest in avoiding preventable heart disease through educating school students.https://thefpmuk.wordpress.com/

The 9th Annual Symposium on Poetry and Medicine is supported by:

Candid elegies: results in the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poet Prize for Poetry and Medicine

Taylor Fang from Logan, Utah, USA has been announced by judge Alisha Kaplan as the winner of the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine at an awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago. Her winning poem was Letter to Body Made Hollow and she was also shortlisted for On the Evolution of Cancer.  

r Taylor Fang

Hippocrates Young Poet Prize winner Taylor Fang

With £500 for the Young Poets Award, the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine  is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem by a young poet. The Young Poets award is supported by healthy heart charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust.

Poetry Foundation, Chicago

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poet Award was judged by Toronto poet Alisha Kaplan who shortlisted and commended poems from the USA and the UK.

Also in the running for the £500 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize were Haemaru Chung from New York City, for Alice and Margot Armbruster, from Wisconsin, USA for Husk.

The following poets were commended: Miles Johnston McInerney from San Diego, USA for 20 Reasons Why I Can’t Order in a Restaurant; Vivian Lu from Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA for Case Study on Grief; Lara Wise from Oundle in England for In Quarantine; Sabina Holzman from Laguna Beach, California, USA for Panic Attack as a House Fire in the City;  Shannon Lin from Santa Clara, California, USA for Passing; and Taylor Fang from Logan, Utah, USA for Scale of Bone Density, Azure. 

About the Young Poet entries she said: “I am in awe of the clarity, wisdom, and resilience with which these young poets write. Weaving medical language with lyrical, they give raw, honest depictions of both physical and mental illness. These poems are written with the vision one can gain when malady or death enters and pervades one’s world, changing its colors, textures, tempo.”

She added: “There are many candid elegies to bodies transformed visibly or invisibly by illness, addressed to loved ones as well as to the poets’ own selves. At times whispering, at times keening, these voices face their pain and grief, and out of their suffering make something beautiful, something true.”

The winning, shortlisted and commended poems in the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize have been published in the 2018 Hippocrates Prize Anthology which was launched at the 2018 Hippocrates Awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago on Friday 11th May.

Notes for editors
For photos of finalists, biographies and extracts of their poems, call 07494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com

The Hippocrates Initiative – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and  Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the relationship between medicine and poetry.

More on support for the 2018 Hippocrates Awards for Poetry and Medicine

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is supported by the Cardiovascular Research Trust, a healthy heart charity founded in 1996, which promotes research and education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation. The charity has a particular interest in avoiding preventable heart disease through educating school students.

The 2018 Hippocrates Open Awards and Health Professional Awards are supported by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. The FPM is a UK medical society founded in 1918, which publishes the international journals the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology. 

The 9th Annual Symposium on Poetry and Medicine is supported by:

Clarity, wisdom, and resilience: shortlisted and commended young poets in the 2018 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine

With £500 for the Young Poets Award, the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine  is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem by a young poet. The Young Poets award is supported by healthy heart charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust.

12-PoetryFoundation+

Poetry Foundation, Chicago

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poet Award is being judged by Toronto poet Alisha Kaplan who has shortlisted and commended poems from the USA and the UK.

In the running for the £500 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize are Haemaru Chung from New York City, for Alice; Margot Armbruster, from Wisconsin, USA for Husk; and Taylor Fang from Logan, Utah, USA for two poems: Letter to Body Made Hollow and On the Evolution of Cancer.  

The following poets were commended: Miles Johnston McInerney from San Diego, USA for 20 Reasons Why I Can’t Order in a Restaurant; Vivian Lu from Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA for Case Study on Grief; Lara Wise from Oundle in England for In Quarantine; Sabina Holzman from Laguna Beach, California, USA for Panic Attack as a House Fire in the City;  Shannon Lin from Santa Clara, California, USA for Passing; and Taylor Fang from Logan, Utah, USA for Scale of Bone Density, Azure. 

About the Young Poet entries she said: “I am in awe of the clarity, wisdom, and resilience with which these young poets write. Weaving medical language with lyrical, they give raw, honest depictions of both physical and mental illness. These poems are written with the vision one can gain when malady or death enters and pervades one’s world, changing its colors, textures, tempo.”

She added: “There are many candid elegies to bodies transformed visibly or invisibly by illness, addressed to loved ones as well as to the poets’ own selves. At times whispering, at times keening, these voices face their pain and grief, and out of their suffering make something beautiful, something true.”

The winning, shortlisted and commended poems in the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize will be published in the annual Hippocrates Prize Anthology. The 2018 Hippocrates Prize Anthology will be launched at the 2018 Hippocrates Awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago on Friday 11th May.

Notes for editors
For photos of finalists, biographies and extracts of their poems, call 07494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com

The Hippocrates Initiative – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the relationship between medicine and poetry.

More on support for the 2018 Hippocrates Awards for Poetry and Medicine

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is supported by the Cardiovascular Research Trust, a healthy heart charity founded in 1996, which promotes research and education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation. The charity has a particular interest in avoiding preventable heart disease through educating school students.

The 2018 Hippocrates Open Awards and Health Professional Awards are supported by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. The FPM is a UK medical society founded in 1918, which publishes the international journals the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology. 

The 9th Annual Symposium on Poetry and Medicine is supported by:


Caring for the marvelous and the fragile: shortlists announced for 2018 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine

With an awards fund of £5500 the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single unpublished poem. The 2018 Hippocrates Prize is supported by medical charity the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine and the healthy heart charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust.

Entries for the 2018 Hippocrates prize were received from 37 countries and from 5 continents.

The judges - Carol Rumens from Bangor in North Wales, Peter Goldsworthy from Adelaide in Australia and Mark Doty from New York City have agreed 4 shortlisted poets for the Health Professional Prize and a further 4 shortlisted poets for the Open Prize.  

Competing for the Open Prize are Joanne Key from Crewe in England for Colony, Sarah Ann Leavesley from Droitwich in England for At breaking point, Aniqah Choudhri from Didsbury in  England for Repeat Prescriptions and Raphael Dagold from Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan for Pharmacology.

In the running for the Health Professional Prize are Ashley Inez Garzaniti from Pontiac in the USA for Cranial Nerve Shadowbox, Stephen Harvey from Nashville in the USA for The Thirteenth Floor, Maria Ji from Onehunga in New Zealand for Thirteen Ways Of Looking At A Patient and Emma Storr from Leeds in England for Six Week Check.

Commendations were also agreed for entrants from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, England, Northern Ireland, Norway, Sweden and the USA - 19 in the Open category and 20 in the Health Professional Category.

Judge Carol Rumens said: “A good poem is like a blood transfusion. It replenishes the body of words, the language in which the poem is written. These prize-winning and commended poems sometimes highlight the metaphorical possibilities of a scientific vocabulary: one of the valuable aspects of the Hippocrates Prize is that it encourages such creative cross-fertilisation. But they also demonstrate that the borders stereotypically perceived between art and science cease to matter in the heat of imaginative and lived engagement.“

She added: “The health professionals write with empathy and a sense of mystery, the ‘open category’ writers summon descriptive precision.  Their forms are rarely traditional, but grow organically from the subject or the experience. So these poems celebrate language itself, while relocating bodily events to a less time-haunted region, and transforming some of the loneliest  aspects of human experience to the most vividly connective.“

Judge Mark Doty said: “Caring for the marvelous and fragile thing a human body is, those who work in the healing professions live in intimate relation with what it is to be alive. Every day they face our vulnerability, as well as their own.  That’s why so many have second lives as poets; writing can be a way to keep their own hearts open, giving form to feeling they must often hold at bay while they attend to what patients need.”

He added: ”The humane and moving work shortlisted for the Hippocrates Poetry Prizes testify to the power of poetry to help us to negotiate the difficult. In carefully crafted, artful language, they demonstrate how the wellspring of compassion renews itself In us again and again.” 

Judge Peter Goldsworthy said: ”Sometimes pus, sometimes a poem…but always pain,’ the Israeli poet Yehuda Amichai wrote, a near-perfect poetic distillation of the costs of creativity, at least ‘sometimes’    Of course not all great art has its genesis in pain, and not all pain – not even a fraction – leads to the partial consolations of art.  But if lancing an abscess is the surest way to healing,  poetry can  offer that same cleansing of emotional wounds - at least, again, ‘sometimes’.   As can humour;  and jokes are a species of poem, sharing its same search for precision, density, rhythm, timing - perfection.” 

He added: ”There are many species of  poem  here - dark, poignant, epigrammatic  celebratory, funny - which caused me many headaches when judging their merits.  How to separate apples from oranges - and grapes, and melons, and durians?   In the end I can only applaud the  endless capacity of  the poets  - and the language -  for creativity, for compassion, for generosity, for courage under fire - and all their various subspecies of humour.”

See more on the shortlisted and commended poets on the Hippocrates Poetry website.

The winners will be announced at the 2018 Hippocrates Awards ceremony at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago from 4pm on Friday 11th May when the Hippocrates Awards Anthology will be launched. There is also a reading at the Poetry Foundation by Mark Doty from 7pm on Thursday 10th May, an accompanying conference on poetry and medicine that morning and afternoon at Northwestern University in Chicago, and a workshop on poetry, medicine and art at Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art on Friday evening, 11th May.

Since it was launched in 2010, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 8000 entries from over 60 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and from Finland to Australasia.

___________________________________________________________________________

Notes for editors
For photos of finalists, biographies and extracts of their poems, call 07494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com

The Hippocrates Initiative – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the relationship between medicine and poetry.

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize 

More on support for the 2018 Hippocrates Awards for Poetry and Medicine

The 2018 Hippocrates Open Awards and Health Professional Awards are supported by the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. The FPM is a UK medical society founded in 1918, which publishes the international journals the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology. 

The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is supported by the Cardiovascular Research Trust, a healthy heart charity founded in 1996, which promotes research and education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation. The charity has a particular interest in avoiding preventable heart disease through educating school students.https://thefpmuk.wordpress.com/

The 9th Annual Symposium on Poetry and Medicine is supported by:

1st March deadline for 2018 Hippocrates International Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine

The Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine is an international prize for a single unpublished poem in English on a medical theme. The length of the poem should be not more than 50 lines of text. Entrants should be aged 14 - 18 years old on the closing date for entries - 1st March.

The award for the winner is £500 (~ USD 670). 

Entries for the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poet Poetry and Medicine Prize close at 12 midnight ie the end of the day on 1st March 2018 in the relevant international time zone for entrants or -  if by mail - postmarked on1st March at latest. 

Enter online, by email or post for the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine.

Judge Alisha Kaplan from Toronto said: "Teenagers across the globe have rich experiences and insights to express. The Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is a fantastic opportunity for them to do so via the powerful tool of poetry, and to receive recognition for their unique, emerging voices“. Read more about Alisha Kaplan below.

kaplan-author-photo- 3med

Alisha Kaplan
Since its launch in 20013, the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine has attracted entries from Europe, North America, Africa and Asia, with winners from the USA, the UK and Hong Kong. 

Shortlisted poets will be informed by email and information about the shortlist and the commended entries posted on the Hippocrates Prize website. The winners in the 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize will be announced at the Hippocrates Awards ceremony on Friday 11th May 2018 at the Poetry Foundation in Chicago.

To find out more about the 2018 prize, or to enter, click here.

Organiser Donald Singer said: “We are delighted to have such international interest in the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize. We are also grateful that the 2018 Hippocrates Awards Ceremony will be hosted by the US Poetry Foundation in Chicago. 

The Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the synergy between medicine, the arts and health.

Notes for editors
For more on the Hippocrates Prize  contact +44 7494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com



The 2018 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize judge is Alisha Kaplan.

Alisha Kaplan is a poet from Toronto in Canada. She holds an MFA in Poetry from New York University, where she was a Rona Jaffe Fellow, and a BA from Barnard College, where she received a Lenore Marshall Barnard Poetry Prize. Her writing has appeared or is forthcoming in Fence, DIAGRAM, Powder Keg, The Chicago Tribune, Carousel, and elsewhere. The daughter of a printmaker and a psychiatrist, Alisha is very interested in the convergence of art and medicine, in particular the healing possibilities of poetry. She won the Open Category in the 2017 FPM Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine.

Hippocrates Prize Organisers
Professor Donald Singer is a clinical pharmacologist and President of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. His interests include research on discovery of new therapies, and public understanding of drugs, health and disease. Professor Michael Hulse is a poet and translator of German literature, and teaches creative writing and comparative literature at the University of Warwick. He is also editor of The Warwick Review. His latest book of poems, Half-Life (2013), was named a Book of the Year by John Kinsella.

The Hippocrates Young Poets Prize is supported by the Healthy Heart Charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust which promotes education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation.

14th February deadline for 2018 Hippocrates International Health Professional Prize for Poetry and Medicine

2017 judge Neal Baer, producer of ER observed: ”Here the ordinary becomes extraordinary. These poems relate with emotional depth and in fresh and compelling ways what it means to be healthy and sick.”

There has been a dramatic increase in international interest in recent years in the interface between medicine and the humanities in general, and in medicine and poetry in particular. Since its launch in 2009, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 8000 entries from over 70 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and Finland to Australasia. All awards in the Hippocrates Prize are for a single unpublished poem on a medical theme. 

Enter online for the Hippocrates Health Professional awards

The International Hippocrates Health Professional category is open to healthcare employees, including clinicians, researchers and health policy experts, health students and those working in professional organisations anywhere in the world involved in education and training of health professional students and staff. There is a £1000 first prize, a £500 second prize and a £250 third prize. There are a further ~20 commendations in the  health professional category

“These poems show us everything we have in common,’” said 2017 Prize judge Jackie Kay. "They help us with grief and grieving. But above all they make us cherish life, our health, our minutes and our hours. I’d keep these poems about me as my companions. They radiate light. One minute you’re reading a poem from a patient, the next a doctor, the next a nurse, the next a porter, the next a friend, the next a family member. One minute you’re reading a poem set in a standard hospital in the UK, the next a makeshift hospital in Iraq" 

Shortlisted and commended poets will be informed by email and information about the shortlist and the commended entries posted on the Hippocrates Prize website. The winners in the 2018 Hippocrates Health Professional Prize will be announced by the judges on Friday 11th May 2018 in Chicago at the Hippocrates Awards ceremony.

Entries for the 2018 Hippocrates Prize Health Professional category close at 12 midnight ie the end of the day on 14th February 2018 in relevant international time zone for entrants. 

To find out more about the 2018 prize, or to enter, click here.

With a prize fund of £5500 for winning poems in the Open International category and NHS category, and £500 for the Young Poets Award, the Hippocrates Prize is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem. The prize comprises a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize and 20 commendations in each of the Open and Health Professional categories and further commendations in the Young Poets Award. 

Organiser Donald Singer said: “We are delighted to have such a distinguished panel of judges for the 2018 Hippocrates Prize, which has since its launch attracted interest from over 70 countries. We are also grateful that the 2018 Hippocrates Awards Ceremony will be hosted by the US Poetry Foundation in Chicago. 

The Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the synergy between medicine, the arts and health.

The International Hippocrates Prize is awarded in three categories:

- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Open category, which anyone in the world may enter. There are a further ~20 commendations in the Open category

- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Health Professional category, which is open to Health Service employees, health students and those working in professional organisations anywhere in the world involved in education and training of health professional students and staff. There are a further ~20 commendations in the Health Professional category

- a £500 prize for the Young Poets category in the international Hippocrates Prize for an unpublished poem in English on a medical theme. Entries are open to young poets from anywhere in the world aged 14 to 18 years. There are further commendations in the Young Poets category.

Notes for editors
For more on the Hippocrates Prize  contact +44 7494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com




2018 Hippocrates Judges

The 2018 Hippocrates Awards judging panel includes for International Open and International Health Professional categories Mark Doty, USA, Carol Rumens, UK, Dr Peter Goldsworthy, Australia and for the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize Alisha Kaplan, Canada.

Mark Doty is an American poet. He has won man literary awards, including the Whiting Writer’s Award, the T. S. Eliot Prize, the National Poetry Series, the Los Angeles Times Book Award, the National Book Critics’ Circle Award, the PEN/Martha Albrand Award for first nonfiction, and the National Book Award for Fire to Fire: New and Selected Poems (2008). A resident of Provincetown, Massachusetts, Doty teaches at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Peter Goldsworthy divides his time between medicine and writing.  He has won literary awards across a wide range of genres, including the 1982 Commonwealth Poetry Prize, the 1988 Australian Bicentennial Poetry prize, the FAW Christina Stead Award for fiction, and a Helpmann Award, with composer Richard Mills,  for the opera Batavia.  Five of his novels have been adapted for the stage;  his 1995 novel ‘Wish’ was recently rereleased in the Text Australian Classics series, and his 1989 novel ‘Maestro’ as an Angus & Robertson Australian Classic. His most recent book is ‘The Rise of the Machines and other love poems’, published last year.

Alisha Kaplan is a poet from Toronto. She holds an MFA in Poetry from New York University, where she was a Rona Jaffe Fellow, and a BA from Barnard College, where she received a Lenore Marshall Barnard Poetry Prize. Her writing has appeared or is forthcoming in Fence, DIAGRAM, Powder Keg, The Chicago Tribune, Carousel, and elsewhere. The daughter of a printmaker and a psychiatrist, Alisha is very interested in the convergence of art and medicine, in particular the healing possibilities of poetry. She won the Open Category in the 2017 FPM Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine.

Carol Rumens is the author of 14 collections of poems, as well as occasional fiction, drama and translation. She has received the Cholmondeley Award and the Prudence Farmer Prize, and was joint recipient of an Alice Hunt Bartlett Award. Her most recent publication is the prose book, Self into Song, based on three poetry lectures delivered in the Bloodaxe-Newcastle University Lecture Series. She is currently professor in creative writing at Bangor University, and is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. Her latest collection is De Chirico's Threads, published by Seren Books.

Hippocrates Prize Organisers
Professor Donald Singer is a clinical pharmacologist and President of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. His interests include research on discovery of new therapies, and public understanding of drugs, health and disease. Professor Michael Hulse is a poet and translator of German literature, and teaches creative writing and comparative literature at the University of Warwick. He is also editor of The Warwick Review. His latest book of poems, Half-Life (2013), was named a Book of the Year by John Kinsella.


The Hippocrates Prize is supported by:
The Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, a national medical society founded in 1918 and publisher of the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology.
The Healthy Heart Charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust which promotes education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation.

14th February deadline for 2018 Hippocrates Open Prize for Poetry and Medicine

“These poems show us everything we have in common,’” said 2017 Prize judge Jackie Kay. "They help us with grief and grieving. But above all they make us cherish life, our health, our minutes and our hours. I’d keep these poems about me as my companions. They radiate light. One minute you’re reading a poem from a patient, the next a doctor, the next a nurse, the next a porter, the next a friend, the next a family member. One minute you’re reading a poem set in a standard hospital in the UK, the next a makeshift hospital in Iraq” 

Enter online for the Hippocrates Open awards

There has been a dramatic increase in international interest in recent years in the interface between medicine and the humanities in general, and in medicine and poetry in particular. Since its launch in 2009, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 8000 entries from over 70 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and Finland to Australasia. All awards in the Hippocrates Prize are for a single unpublished poem on a medical theme. 

The International Hippocrates Open awardswhich anyone in the world may enter, are a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize. There are a further ~20 commendations in the Open category

2017 judge Neal Baer, producer of ER observed: ”Here the ordinary becomes extraordinary. These poems relate with emotional depth and in fresh and compelling ways what it means to be healthy and sick.”

Shortlisted and commended poets will be informed by email and information about the shortlist and the commended entries posted on the Hippocrates Prize website. The winners in the 2018 Hippocrates Open Prize will be announced by the judges on Friday 11th May 2018 in Chicago at the Hippocrates Awards ceremony.

Entries for the 2018 Hippocrates Prize Health Professional category close at 12 midnight ie the end of the day on 14th February 2018 in relevant international time zone for entrants. 

To find out more about the 2018 prize, or to enter, click here.

With a prize fund of £5500 for winning poems in the Open International category and NHS category, and £500 for the Young Poets Award, the Hippocrates Prize is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem. The prize comprises a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize and 20 commendations in each of the Open and Health Professional categories and further commendations in the Young Poets Award. 

Organiser Donald Singer said: “We are delighted to have such a distinguished panel of judges for the 2018 Hippocrates Prize, which has since its launch attracted interest from over 70 countries. We are also grateful that the 2018 Hippocrates Awards Ceremony will be hosted by the US Poetry Foundation in Chicago. 

The Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine – winner of the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Innovation and Excellence in the Arts – is an interdisciplinary venture that investigates the synergy between medicine, the arts and health.

The International Hippocrates Prize is awarded in three categories:

- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Open category, which anyone in the world may enter. There are a further ~20 commendations in the Open category

- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Health Professional category, which is open to Health Service employees, health students and those working in professional organisations anywhere in the world involved in education and training of health professional students and staff. There are a further ~20 commendations in the Health Professional category

- a £500 prize for the Young Poets category in the international Hippocrates Prize for an unpublished poem in English on a medical theme. Entries are open to young poets from anywhere in the world aged 14 to 18 years. There are further commendations in the Young Poets category.

Notes for editors
For more on the Hippocrates Prize  contact +44 7494 450805  or email hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com




2018 Hippocrates Judges

The 2018 Hippocrates Awards judging panel includes for International Open and International Health Professional categories Mark Doty, USA, Carol Rumens, UK, Dr Peter Goldsworthy, Australia and for the Hippocrates Young Poets Prize Alisha Kaplan, Canada.

Mark Doty is an American poet. He has won man literary awards, including the Whiting Writer’s Award, the T. S. Eliot Prize, the National Poetry Series, the Los Angeles Times Book Award, the National Book Critics’ Circle Award, the PEN/Martha Albrand Award for first nonfiction, and the National Book Award for Fire to Fire: New and Selected Poems (2008). A resident of Provincetown, Massachusetts, Doty teaches at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Peter Goldsworthy divides his time between medicine and writing.  He has won literary awards across a wide range of genres, including the 1982 Commonwealth Poetry Prize, the 1988 Australian Bicentennial Poetry prize, the FAW Christina Stead Award for fiction, and a Helpmann Award, with composer Richard Mills,  for the opera Batavia.  Five of his novels have been adapted for the stage;  his 1995 novel ‘Wish’ was recently rereleased in the Text Australian Classics series, and his 1989 novel ‘Maestro’ as an Angus & Robertson Australian Classic. His most recent book is ‘The Rise of the Machines and other love poems’, published last year.

Alisha Kaplan is a poet from Toronto. She holds an MFA in Poetry from New York University, where she was a Rona Jaffe Fellow, and a BA from Barnard College, where she received a Lenore Marshall Barnard Poetry Prize. Her writing has appeared or is forthcoming in Fence, DIAGRAM, Powder Keg, The Chicago Tribune, Carousel, and elsewhere. The daughter of a printmaker and a psychiatrist, Alisha is very interested in the convergence of art and medicine, in particular the healing possibilities of poetry. She won the Open Category in the 2017 FPM Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine.

Carol Rumens is the author of 14 collections of poems, as well as occasional fiction, drama and translation. She has received the Cholmondeley Award and the Prudence Farmer Prize, and was joint recipient of an Alice Hunt Bartlett Award. Her most recent publication is the prose book, Self into Song, based on three poetry lectures delivered in the Bloodaxe-Newcastle University Lecture Series. She is currently professor in creative writing at Bangor University, and is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. Her latest collection is De Chirico's Threads, published by Seren Books.

Hippocrates Prize Organisers
Professor Donald Singer is a clinical pharmacologist and President of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. His interests include research on discovery of new therapies, and public understanding of drugs, health and disease. Professor Michael Hulse is a poet and translator of German literature, and teaches creative writing and comparative literature at the University of Warwick. He is also editor of The Warwick Review. His latest book of poems, Half-Life (2013), was named a Book of the Year by John Kinsella.


The Hippocrates Prize is supported by:
The Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine, a national medical society founded in 1918 and publisher of the Postgraduate Medical Journal and Health Policy and Technology.
The Healthy Heart Charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust which promotes education for the prevention and treatment of disorders of the heart and circulation.

At the London launch of the Hippocrates Book of the Heart

The Hippocrates Book of the Heart was launched in London on Wednesday 6th December 2017. See the launch programme.

This book, published by the Hippocrates Press on behalf of the Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine, was made possible by the support of the healthy heart charity the Cardiovascular Research Trust.

The book brings together eighty contemporary poets of the English-speaking world and a dozen medical experts from around the globe to offer their perspectives on the heart.

Since ancient times, the heart has been understood as the seat of the emotions, of the will, even of the soul. Over time, a fuller medical understanding of the organ has gradually evolved too, with Harvey’s first complete account of the circulation of the blood and the heart’s role (1628) and Dr. Christiaan Barnard’s first successful heart transplant (1968) marking key moments in a history that has given us a much better understanding of our hearts – and how to ensure they stay healthy.

In compiling this book, the editors invited poets around the English-speaking world, both prominent and less well-known, to contribute poems about the heart, written from any perspective, whether clinical or fanciful, medical or metaphorical. Among the poets are Griffin Poetry Prize winners Roo Borson and David Harsent, Forward Prize winners Sean O’Brien, Hilary Menos and Nick Mackinnon, former New Zealand Poets Laureate Elizabeth Smither and C. K. Stead, former National Poet of Wales Gwyneth Lewis, and President of PEN International Jennifer Clement. They are joined by many other distinguished and rising poets, including Robert Gray, John Kinsella, Peter Goldsworthy, Stephen Edgar and Geoffrey Lehmann from Australia; Anna Jackson, Jenny Bornholdt and Chris Price from New Zealand; Grace Schulman, Rafael Campo, Matthew Thorburn, Debora Greger and Jeffrey Harrison from the US; Marilyn Bowering and Kenneth Sherman from Canada; Justin Quinn, Mary O’Donnell and John F. Deane from Ireland; and Jane Draycott, Philip Gross, Mimi Khalvati, Lawrence Sail and Penelope Shuttle from the UK.

Leading medical professionals whose practice and research has led them to a keen interest in the health of the heart contribute information and advice to the book. In clear, crisp mini-essays they illuminate the nature of heart disease, the key risk factors, the history of cardiac surgery, and the most important steps every one of us can take in trying to maintain a healthy heart. Our medical professionals, based in Russia, Finland, The Netherlands, France, the UK, Australia and Hong Kong, agree in their core message: maintaining a healthy heart is possible for every one of us, and is crucial to our overall health and well-being throughout our lives.

The result is that rare thing, a book that satisfies the Horatian dictum that writing should both delight and instruct.

Note to Editors

For more on The Hippocrates Book of the Heart and other activities aimed at preventing heart and related disease: hearthealthycharity@gmail.com | 07494 450 805

The Hippocrates Book of the Heart edited by Wendy French, Michael Hulse and Donald Singer
ISBN 978-0-9935911-1-2   UK: £12  Ireland: €15  US: $18  CAN: $24  AUS: $24  NZ: $30
Order a printed copy of the book            Order the eBook

Heart book cover.jpg


Many of the contributors were in London for the launch of the book.

DSC 0175.JPG
DSC 0176.JPG
DSC 0177.JPG
DSC 0178.JPG
DSC 0179.JPG
DSC 0180.JPG
DSC 0183.JPG
DSC 0184.JPG
DSC 0186.JPG
DSC 0189.JPG
DSC 0194.JPG
DSC 0195 (1).jpg




Global perspectives on the heart: Hippocrates Book of the Heart launched in Toronto

The Hippocrates Book of the Heart edited by Wendy French, Michael Hulse and Donald Singer
ISBN 978-0-9935911-1-2   UK: £12  Ireland: €15  US: $18  CAN: $24  AUS: $24  NZ: $30


Order a printed copy of the book            Order the eBook

Art Makom

Art installation by Rochelle Rubinstein and Alisha Kaplan

This book, made possible by the generous support of the Cardiovascular Research Trust, brings together eighty contemporary poets of the English-speaking world and a dozen medical experts from around the globe to offer their perspectives on the heart.

Since ancient times, the heart has been understood as the seat of the emotions, of the will, even of the soul. Over time, a fuller medical understanding of the organ has gradually evolved too, with Harvey’s first complete account of the circulation of the blood and the heart’s role (1628) and Dr. Christiaan Barnard’s first successful heart transplant (1968) marking key moments in a history that has given us a much better understanding of our hearts – and how to ensure they stay healthy.

In compiling this book, the editors invited poets around the English-speaking world, both prominent and less well-known, to contribute poems about the heart, written from any perspective, whether clinical or fanciful, medical or metaphorical. Among the poets are Griffin Poetry Prize winners Roo Borson and David Harsent, Forward Prize winners Sean O’Brien, Hilary Menos and Nick Mackinnon, former New Zealand Poets Laureate Elizabeth Smither and C. K. Stead, former National Poet of Wales Gwyneth Lewis, and President of PEN International Jennifer Clement. They are joined by many other distinguished and rising poets, including Robert Gray, John Kinsella, Peter Goldsworthy, Stephen Edgar and Geoffrey Lehmann from Australia; Anna Jackson, Jenny Bornholdt and Chris Price from New Zealand; Grace Schulman, Rafael Campo, Matthew Thorburn, Debora Greger and Jeffrey Harrison from the US; Marilyn Bowering and Kenneth Sherman from Canada; Justin Quinn, Mary O’Donnell and John F. Deane from Ireland; and Jane Draycott, Philip Gross, Mimi Khalvati, Lawrence Sail and Penelope Shuttle from the UK.

Leading medical professionals whose practice and research has led them to a keen interest in the health of the heart contribute information and advice to the book. In clear, crisp mini-essays they illuminate the nature of heart disease, the key risk factors, the history of cardiac surgery, and the most important steps every one of us can take in trying to maintain a healthy heart. Our medical professionals, based in Russia, Finland, The Netherlands, France, the UK, Australia and Hong Kong, agree in their core message: maintaining a healthy heart is possible for every one of us, and is crucial to our overall health and well-being throughout our lives.

The result is that rare thing, a book that satisfies the Horatian dictum that writing should both delight and instruct.

Toronto Heart panel

Makom, Toronto, 16.11.17: 
Donald Singer, Ron Charach, Kenneth Sherman, Roo Borson, 
Kim Maltman, Ronna Bloom and Alisha Kaplan

The Canadian launch of the book was held at Makom in Toronto on Thursday 16th November. The programme included readings by Canadian poets Alisha Kaplan, Kenneth Sherman, Roo Borson and Kim Maltman. There was also a lively discussion panel on "More poetry: just what doctors and the public need?" In addition to the above poets the panel was joined by poet and psychotherapist Ronna and poet and psychiatrist Ron Charach, with a co-chairs: Alisha Kaplan and Donald Singer.

See more about the Toronto launch of the Heart book

Ronna Bloom is the author of 5 collections of poetry including The More (Pedlar Press, 2017). Her poems have been translated into Spanish and Bengali, recorded by the CNIB, and used in films, by architects, in education and health care. Her work appears in "Poetry is Public" and in the Toronto Public Library Poetry Map. She is currently Poet in Community at the University of Toronto and Poet in Residence in the Sinai Health System in Toronto. In these roles she offers students, health care professionals, patients and visitors opportunities to articulate their experiences through reflective writing and poetry. A meditator and psychotherapist, she lives in Toronto. 

Roo Borson's work has received the Griffin Poetry Prize and the Governor General's Award. Her most recent book of poetry is Cardinal in the Eastern White Cedar (2017), published by McClelland and Stewart/Penguin Random House. With Kim Maltman, she writes under the pen name Baziju, whose first book, Box Kite, was published in 2016 by House of Anansi Press.

Ron Charach is a poet, essayist, novelist and practicing psychiatrist. Born in Winnipeg, he has lived in Toronto since 1980 with his wife Alice, who is also a psychiatrist and researcher. His medically related poems are featured in two world anthologies of physician poetry published by the University of Iowa Press, Blood & Bone and Primary Care. His most recent books of poetry are Forgetting the Holocaust and Prosopagnosia, the latter of which was published by Toronto’s Tightrope Books. His poetry draws from the twin streams of literature and the healing arts.

Alisha Kaplan: The daughter of a printmaker and a psychiatrist, Alisha is very interested in the convergence of art and medicine, and the healing possibilities of poetry. She is a Torontonian poet, an editor for Narrative Magazine, and the winner of the 2017 Hippocrates Prize in Poetry and Medicine. She taught creative writing at New York University, where she received an MFA in Poetry. Her writing has appeared in Fence, DIAGRAM, Carousel, PRISM, The New Quarterly, and elsewhere.

Kim Maltman is a poet and theoretical particle physicist who teaches mathematics at York University. A past winner of the CBC Prize for Poetry, he has published five solo collections of poetry and three collaborative books, including Introduction to the Introduction to Wang Wei, written under the pen name Pain Not Bread and published by Brick Books.

Born in Toronto, Kenneth Sherman is the author of three books of prose and ten books of poetry. His most recent publications are Wait Time: A Memoir of Cancer and the poetry collection Jogging with the Great Ray Charles.

Donald Singer and Michael Hulse co-founded the Hippocrates Initiative for Poetry and Medicine in 2009. Singer is a clinical pharmacologist who has published over 200 articles, chapters and books on medicines, on cardiovascular research, prevention and treatment, and public understanding of health. He is an editor and contributor to The Hippocrates Book of the Heart (Hippocrates Press, 2017). He co-authors the prescribing safety guide Pocket Prescriber (Taylor & Francis) now in its 8th edition since 2004. He is President of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. He is also on the Executive Committee of the European Association of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 

University of Santo Tomas Faculty member poetry commended at the 2017 Hippocrates Awards

The Philippines QS WOWNEWS Issue 26: p48. August - October 2017

A Faculty member at the University of Santo Tomas College of Rehabilitation and Sciences, Dr Ma Arlene Lee-Ledesma, received a commendation for her poem, Grandfather’s Dementia, under the Health Professional Category of the 2017 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine. She was the only Asian and Filipino among authors of the 29 poems which received commendations. The awards ceremony was held on 6 May 2017 at the Harvard Medical School in Boston, USA. 

Ma. Arlene Lee-Ledesma

Dr Ma. Arlene Lee-Ledesma

The 2017 Hippocrates Awards were organised by the Hippocrates Initiative in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Initiative of Harvard Medical School. They are composed of three categories, namely the Open Category, the Health Professional Category and the Young Poet Category. Currently in its 8th year, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 8,000 entries from over 60 countries all over the world. 

All winning and commended poems in the Hippocrates Prize are published in the annual Hippocrates Prize Anthology. When asked about her inspiration for her poem, Dr Ledesma mentioned that “Memory and recall have been a favourite theme in my poems. I have correlated dementia, a medical condition which intrigued me, with the visual imagery of sky at dawn, and fascinated me as a child.” 


 © Hippocrates initiative 2012: hippocrates.poetry@gmail.com